The Processes of Making Aracha (Rough Tea) Posted on 17 Jul 23:09 , 0 comments
Tea leaves are picked by hands or machine.
2. Steaming - Jounetsu or Mushi
The fresh green tea leaves are steamed to stop oxidation. 30 ~ 40 seconds steaming for Normal Steaming. 80 ~ 90 seconds steaming for Deep Steaming.
3. Primary Drying and Rolling - Sojuu or Haburui
The steamed green tea leaves are exposed to hot air while a the same time rolled and dried.
4. Rolling - Juunen or Kaiten Momi
The green tea is rolled under pressure without heat.
5. Secondary Drying and Rolling - Chuujuu or Momikiri
While exposed to warm air, the green tea is rolled in order to arrange the shape of the leaves.
6. Final Rolling - Seijuu or Tengurimomi, Kokuri
The shape of the green tea leaves are then further arranged.
The green tea leaves are then thoroughly dried and the production Aracha is made.